Friday, June 19, 2015

Maui in the Lions Den



There's a lot of Detroit Lions gear in my house. Like, a lot. There's even a little Lions pin on my walking bag. Our team colour is Honolulu Blue. Dan says that's just coincidence, but I know it's not. When you say "Maui" every day of your life, it influences your other decisions.

Dan wasn't a Lions fan when I met him. He liked the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The way he tells it, when he started liking football, he picked the worst team he could find as his own and count on the law of averages to eventually deliver him a Superbowl. It took 16 years, but it happened! And then it was time for a new broken-down bandwagon to join. Enter the Detroit Lions.

And Dan picked just the right time to jump aboard. Little did he know that the team was about to have the worst season in the history of the league. I remember him watching the games that season. You'd think it would have made him angry, but it didn't. He'd just smile. "The law of averages," he'd say to me. "You'll see."

That was seven years ago. Nine more to go. Maybe dogs will be allowed to go to games by then? Ahem.


No comments: