Sunday, June 21, 2015

My Chefs for the Day

Yurkenbaum Summer Fun went yesterday. It's the first of three annual parties Dan and Tiia throw. This is the one where different people take control of the barbecue and I chill out by the grill.

Patrick kicked it off with cheese quesadillas and chicken shish kabob. He said the quesadillas were for the kiddies but I know they were for me as a subtle hosting gift. Well played, sir.



After Pat came Brennan and his organic cheeseburgers. Brennan was Cairo's dad. I got to be Cairo's wingman at a few parties in his backyard. Back in 2012, Cairo taught me the wink move where you wink at a person just before they give you a bite so they're more inclined to give you a second. Brilliant.

Vanessa went third with a rack of tangy short-ribs. I was disappointed at first because of its cheeselessness, but I got over that quickly. It was probably the tastiest plate of the day. I think it needs a name, though.  I'm throwing Scarlet Shorties out there. Vanessa?



Dean took control next. Dean's a legit grill master, and proved it with South African Boerewors sausage. I actually got the very first taste of the day as Dan (predictably) sent a piece flying off the plate as he was cutting it. 



But Dan redeemed himself later in the night with a second round of burgers and dogs, and then a midnight rack of ribs which seemed like a good idea at the time. And it was. At the time.




All in all, another successful garden party. Thanks to everyone who came out, and a special thanks to everyone who shared the love. You know who you are.







No comments: